You may think that purchasing CBD products for your pet from big online marketplaces will be the best and cheapest way to go. But if you truly would like a product with all of the beneficial properties of CBD, you will have to look somewhere else.
Did you know that big online marketplaces and chains are not allowing CBD product sales? They are allowing “hemp seed oil” products, which contain no CBD and do not have all of the benefits of true CBD-rich hemp oil. Be warned that just because you can search “CBD” on an online marketplace and results pop up, does not mean the products contain CBD in them. To get around legal policies, store owners will sell something that looks like CBD and market it as hemp oil — while forgetting to mention that hemp oil contains no CBD. Per policies to sell on big online marketplaces, products must not contain CBD. This is because CBD products are usually lumped in with the marijuana products, which are illegal in most states. However, to put them in the same category does not make sense – CBD is not a psychoactive compound. CBD products are legal to sell and consume in all 50 states as long as they contain less than 0.3% THC according to the 2018 Farm Bill.
There is a reason why “hemp seed oil” products are a lower cost. Hemp seed oils are inexpensively extracted from the hemp seeds, which contain no cannabinoids (CBD or other compounds). CBD-rich hemp oils are extracted using expensive methods (like CO2 extraction) from the stalks, flowers, and leaves of the hemp plant. Ashley Lewis, founder of a new online CBD destination, states “The biggest issue is that hemp seed oil and CBD are two totally different compounds that come from different parts of the hemp plant, have different makeups, and different benefits…Marketing them as the same thing just isn’t accurate and does a disservice to consumers who are expecting certain benefits that they won’t get from hemp seed oil and who are often paying more for what they think is CBD.”
What to look for
Now that you know the difference between the two different oils, here are a few key words to distinguish if a product actually has CBD in it:
- Hemp CBD
- Phytocannabinoid-rich hemp oil
- CBD isolate
- Full spectrum CBD
- Broad spectrum CBD
Research, Research, Research
It is important for you (and ultimately your furry friend) to do adequate research and become knowledgeable about CBD products before you buy. CBD is generally regarded as safe and non-toxic to dogs; however, that doesn’t mean every CBD product out there is safe.
- THC can be toxic to dogs, especially in large amounts, so you want to make sure your product does not contain any.
- Check the label on the product for ingredients – look for what kind of carrier oil are they using and if the product contains other unfamiliar ingredients.
- There are many ways to extract CBD oil from the cannabis plant, each has its pros and cons. Some methods are safer and more effective than others. The best extraction method is supercritical (or subcritical) CO2 extraction.
- Make sure the CBD oil product is extracted from organic hemp
- Look for test results – a reputable company will include third-party test results on their website or provide them if asked
Know exactly what you are buying and don’t just price shop. As a pet owner, you want the best for your furry family member. Becoming familiar with CBD, what CBD products look like and should contain, is the best way to insure you are getting the safest and best product for your pet.