Does your dog struggle with travel anxiety? With most pets, it is likely that they struggle with anxiety while traveling or going new places in general. Unfamiliar places, smells, and routine can be a scary thing for pets. If your dog experiences travel anxiety, you will likely want to find something easy that works so that you can both travel comfortably and peacefully. More dog owners are turning to a more natural solution, PCR-rich hemp oil (aka CBD oil).
Symptoms of travel anxiety
When your dog is going to and from new places, meeting new people, and doing things that are out of the norm, your dog’s behavior can change. Here is what to look for if you think your dog may be anxious about traveling:
- Urinating or defecating
- Nervous licking of the lips
- Loss of appetite
How travel anxiety is typically treated
A majority of the time, dogs that have travel anxiety are prescribed medications. A few common ones are Alprazolam (Xanax) or Lorazepam (Ativan). Like many traditional medications, these medications can cause side effects such as diarrhea (which who wants that while traveling!), lethargy, and further behavioral changes.
A natural alternative
CBD oil (aka PCR-rich hemp oil) is an active compound called a cannabinoid that is found in mature hemp plants. It is a non-psychoactive compound, meaning it doesn’t product any kind of “high” or “buzz”. It is a great natural alternative for many dogs who suffer from anxiety or other health issues.
Research shows that CBD oil works by interacting with the body’s naturally occurring endocannabinoid system to soothe and calm anxiety naturally. The calming effects of CBD oil are thought to be the result of active Cannabidiol on serotonin receptors in the brain, and CBD’s ability to help the hippocampus regenerate neurons.
How to choose the right CBD oil for your dog
You can find CBD oil in many different forms such as tinctures, capsules, topical creams, etc., so it can be a bit confusing at times. But when it all comes down to it, the best thing to look for is the quality of the product. Here are 4 ways to determine the quality of the CBD oil you are looking into:
- Is it organic? Because of hemp’s amazing ability to clean and absorb materials, it is vital that industrial hemp is grown in good, organic soil. Organically grown hemp needs soil that is free of toxins, so those toxins don’t show up in the finished product.
- How is it processed? There are many ways to extract CBD oil from the cannabis plant, each has its pros and cons. Some methods are safer and more effective than others. The best extraction method is supercritical (or subcritical) CO2 extraction. It’s the most expensive extraction method, producing a non-toxic, pure, natural, non-flammable product. Avoid any products made with solvents like propane, butane, pentane or hexane (toxic flammable hydrocarbon gases found in petroleum), which can be toxic.
- Is it independently tested? When you are researching or looking into a product, make sure the products have been tested by a third-party. This is to ensure that there is less than 0.3% THC in the product and ensure you are getting a product that has good amounts of CBD in it.
- What’s the THC count? THC is one of the cannabinoids that is responsible for the “high” feeling when ingested. CBD derived from the hemp plant has less than 0.3% THC. In other words, your pup will not get high. THC in high doses can be toxic for pets.
Dosing for travel anxiety
Like helping treat other issues, it is suggested to start small and go from there. Very generally speaking, a rough “starting point” in terms of CBD for dogs is 0.05mg x lb., twice daily. The idea is that if you start off small enough, you will be able to pinpoint the exact threshold where the effect of CBD becomes noticeable. You can check out our dosage charts here. For anxiety purposes, CBD oil has shown to help dogs calm down in 30-60 minutes, so it is recommended to give your dog CBD oil at least 30 minutes prior to departure.
Traveling with your pet can be a fun and exciting experience, but sometimes a stressful one. If your dog struggles with anxiety while traveling, try giving him CBD oil, a great natural alternative.
Does your dog not suffer from travel anxiety? Check out the other benefits of PCR-rich hemp oil (CBD oil) for your dog!